Aims and Intentions



Aims and intentions:

How and why will you use media language in your cross-media production?
The beginning of my music video will have enhanced colours meaning that the colours will look sharp and eye catching. This format of colour grading will be present at all the points in the music video where the venue is rural to signify that the shots in the rural area are supposed to be positive and represent a happy time. Alternatively, when the venue of the video changes to an urban setting the colour grading will turn to a much more saturated and washed out look. This accomplished two of my goals as the saturation will not only signify that the shot is of a sadder and more depressed time it will also be reminiscent of 90s skate videos. As for mise-en-scene, my video will include iconography of skate videos such as skateboarding and graffiti in an urban area. I will also use editing to match the beat with the cuts of the music video to try to link the music with the video.

How and why will you construct representations of individuals, groups and issues/events?
I will construct the representation of my target audience, 30-49 year olds, by utilising nostalgia in my video so the 30-49 year olds remember their youth. This means that the group I will be representing will be slightly rebellious teenage skaters in the 90s. I will represent this group of people by colour grading my music video in such a way that makes the audience feel nostalgic and feel reminded of the skate videos they used to watch when they were younger. Additionally, the song I have used ‘Only God can Judge Me’ by Tupac was a popular hip-hop song in the 90s that my audience would be familiar with. This means that the song accompanied by the video will be appealing to my audience.

How will you target your intended audience?
I will attempt to target my intended audience of 30-49 year olds in my cross-media production by representing them more personally rather than stereotypically. I will do this by focusing on emotion in my video. This will subvert and challenge typical stereotypes of skaters in the 90s because they are not generally seen as emotional and most people would assume that they are angry, anti-society and drug users because of stereotypes. However, I will target this group of people by using some stereotypes because a lot of the video will be shot in an urban landscape surrounded by graffiti but I will also subvert from the stereotypes by making the video more emotional and personal. I will do this by creating a sort of narrative in my video by separating the video into three different sections: the beginning, where the colours are vivid and the venue is rural, the middle where everything is industrial and urban with the saturation, and the end where it resolved and goes back to the rural area with vivid colours. This represents changing and growing up and the conflicting emotions of being a teenager that I think my audience would be able to relate to. I will further subvert from the stereotypes but deliberately not implementing any references to drugs or alcohol in my music video.

How will your production conform to its industry context?
I believe that my cross-media production will conform to its industry context, the hip-hop genre of music with a skate video style, because it will be tailored towards 30-49 year olds and it will be promoting a new artist in both the magazine and the music video. Additionally, I think that the fact that the video has links to 90s skate videos means that it conforms to its industry context because hip-hop has always been a big part of skate culture.

How will your cross-media production demonstrate digital convergence?
My cross-media production will successfully demonstrate digital convergence because of the fact that I will be using two separate types of media: a magazine (print media) along with film in the form of a music video. Additionally, both types of media will be made to advertise a new and upcoming artist. The music video will also merge film and music with the use of editing to match the beat of the song with the jump cuts and what is going on in the music video. Although the video is owned by a major conglomerate I am trying to mimic the style of older skate videos so it will look low budget and independent.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How does the front cover of the set edition of Woman reflect the socio-historical context in which it was made?